Renovation of historical structures
This heritage-protected Austrian barn in the immediate vicinity of the Donaulände bank of the Danube is a relic of the time when the Danube was used intensively as a transport route for a very wide-ranging variety of goods. Built in 1672 and initially used to store grain, the barn was structurally reinforced in 1786, using methods that were sophisticated for that era, so that it could cope with the loading entailed by its subsequent use as a salt storehouse. A T-shaped extension on the southern facade of the barn, realized in 1863, was completely destroyed by a major fire in 1984, along with the historical roof framework. Traces of this extension, and of the repairs and conversion work carried out again and again over the centuries, can still be seen today in many parts of this Austrian barn. In 1990, the building was renovated in compliance with heritage-protection regulations, on the basis of contemporary analyses and findings, and it remains in this form today. In future, the Austrian barn is to be used as a depot for the new Museum of Bavarian History building that is being constructed on the neighboring property.
Period of time
2014 – 2018
6,0 Mio. EUR
1st place in VOF tendering procedure
Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte, Augsburg